I’m working on a history question and need an explanation and answer to help me learn.
1) What was your previous knowledge of the relationship between the US government and American Indians? Based on this week and last week’s materials, why might it be helpful to become familiar with the treaty relationship between the US government and American Indians?
2) How does our new key term “Manifest Destiny” apply to this week’s materials/time period?
The 19th century belief that American settlers were destined, by God-given right, to expand settlements from coast-to-coast of North America in order for the United States to reach its full potential. It relates to U.S. westward expansion because this ideology was used to justify removal and violence against Indigenous groups.
3) Please share your thoughts/reactions to the “Gold Rush: Act for the Government and Protection of Indians” article. What stood out to you, and why?
4) According to Dr. Chilcote’s article, what does the “California Dream” mean to indigenous peoples? What solution does the author provide? How does this article connect to this week’s materials/time period?
In the article, “What the ‘California Dream’ Means to Indigenous Peoples” the author defines the “California Dream” as a settler dream that stuck with the Spaniards and pushed them to travel to the Americas and find gold. The “California Dream” to the Indigenous people means decolonizing the colonialism that occurred to their peoples, which includes getting their original land returned to them so that they can have their own independence and way of life back. The solution that the author suggests is to return the land to the tribes, which does not mean the non-Indians must leave the land, but that the land must return to a government led by the Natives and have a reorientation of their land and their connection with nature
5) Lastly, please discuss any overall thoughts/reactions/connections you’d like to share based on what we learned this week.
Explanation & Answer:
Student has agreed that all tutoring, explanations, and answers provided by the tutor will be used to help in the learning process and in accordance with Studypool’s honor code & terms of service.