Short Answer Questions (answer any 4 questions)
1. The psychological contract is central to the employer employee relationship and breaches of the psychological contract can have a negative impact on both employee and organisational performance. Critically evaluate.
2. Critically explore the antecedents of work life conflict and or facilitation, drawing upon Humbert and Lewis (2008) and McMillan, Morris and Atchley (2011) ‘Constructs of the Work/Life Interface: A Synthesis of the Literature and Introduction of the Concept of Work/Life Harmony’.
3. How does role congruity theory help to explain why women are under-represented in leadership roles? Drawing upon Ibarra, Ely and Kolb (2013) and Elsesser and Lever (2011) ‘to support your answer.
4. “There is a direct relationship between stress and employee performance.” Critically evaluate the above statement drawing upon Mark and Smith (2006).
5. “Emotions are problematic for organisations.” Critically assess this statement, drawing upon Williams (2003) and Barsade and Gibson (2007).
6. How do organisations create perceptions of organisational Justice, drawing upon Cropanzano, R., Bowen, D. E., & Gilliland, S. W. (2007), discuss the relative importance of Distributive justice, Procedural justice and Interactional justice in the management of perceptions of justice in organisations.
7. Organisations use images of diversity or information about diversity initiatives in their recruitment advertising to attract job candidates from under-represented groups. Drawing upon Avery (2003), Martins & Parsons (2007), and Williamson et al. (2008), identify three factors that have been shown to influence job applicants’ reactions to this type of advertising, and explain how they do so.
8. According to the rational actor model of hiring decisions, employers will change their stereotyped beliefs about minority job applicants after having positive experiences with members of that minority group. According to Pager and Karafin’s (2009) study, what do employers do in real life?
Minimum word count per answer: 400
Maximum word count per answer: 500
The word count does not include references, which should be provided in a separate section at the end of each answer.