Students will write a 4-page paper:
Students will conduct a policy analysis and identify one policy that directly impacts K-12 students and/or the district’s ability to respond to their students.
Introduce the policy you are analyzing. Clearly explain how this policy is relevant to your student population and/or the school district.
1. Define the problem. What problem does the policy attempt to address? Discuss the prevalence of the problem. Consider different potential explanations in terms of causes of the problem.
2. Define the policy and alternatives. Summarize the basic tenets of the policy. How is the policy expected to help address the problem (i.e., what cause does it seek to address)? What alternative policies were considered, or could have been considered?
3. Describe the historical, social, cultural, economic, organizational, environmental, and global influences that inform this policy [Competency Vc]
4. Describe policy implementation. How was the policy formulated? [Competency Vb] Who is in charge of implementation? How is the process working? Have there been problems in implementation? Is a monitoring and evaluation system in place for the implementation? Describe it.
5. Evaluate the policy. Has the policy achieved what it intended? What were the costs and consequences of the policy? Overall, was the policy a “success” or a “failure”? [Competency Vb]
6. Make a recommendation. Recommend a policy action, based on your analysis of the set of alternatives and your evaluation of the current policy. Articulate reasons, supported by facts and evidence, why the policy proposal you have chosen would be the best avenue for addressing the issue in question.
The post Conduct a policy analysis and identify one policy that directly impacts K-12.Clearly explain how this policy is relevant to your student population and/or the school district. appeared first on Essay Quoll.